The characteristic colored beak and the elegant black plumage. Yes, it’s an amigurumi toucan!
The crochet pattern to make Toco, the amigurumi toucan, is available here.
Toucans are incredibly charming birds, with their large colorful beak, shiny feathers, and white collar. It was impossible to resist the temptation to create a funny amigurumi toucan, much more clumsy and chubby than its feathered friends, but definitely with a strong personality. Am I the only one who envies how photogenic he is?
To make Toco I used Paintbox yarns Cotton DK. It’s a soft cotton yarn with a matte look, two characteristics I love when I choose the yarn for my amigurumi. But I know what you all are thinking: working with black yarn is tough! You’re right, black yarns are the worst allies for all fiber crafts. If using black yarn to crochet this toucan I suggest working at day light or adopt a creative solution like Cara, Lex and Christina did.
Here are some alternatives to pure black yarn:
– a dark color, as much elegant as black like a deep blue or purple
– get carried away by all the rainbow colors and choose a pastel/fluo/bright color… apparently all of them suit to toucans (stylish touch: matching safety eyes!)
– clever idea: a variegated or melange black yarn like Scheepjes Stone Washed (I used it for Ugo the cat, super recommended!). It’s indisputably black, but definitely easier to work without a miner’s flashlight.
I can’t wait to discover other wonderful and colorful versions of Toco!
- 8 pages PDF crochet pattern with written instructions in US crochet terms
- 40 images to illustrate crochet tips and steps by step to make the toucan
- bonus chart for the toes (written instructions and images are included too)
You can find the PDF in my shop with 20% OFF until the end of September 2020.
A huge thank you to my testers Cara, Christine, Cinzia, Elda, Laure and Sandy.